Montgomery County Administration:

501 North Thompson, Suite 401

Conroe, Texas  77301




Home » Courts » Justices of the Peace » Justice of the Peace Pct 1 » Information and Forms » Traffic » Deferred Disposition

 Deferred Disposition




What is Deferred Disposition?


Per Art. 45.051, V.A.C.C.P., a Justice of the Peace may defer further proceedings without entering an adjudication of guilt and place the defendant on probation for a period not to exceed 180 days upon a plea of guilty or nolo contendere by the defendant and payment of all court costs.



How does it work?


In order to be granted Deferred Disposition you must:


        Write a letter to the Court requesting Deferred Disposition. Your letter must include

        the following:


                 1. Full Name

                 2. Current Address

                 3. Current Telephone Number

                 4. A plea of guilty or no contest to your charge;

                 5. A brief statement indicating that you are requesting deferred disposition for your


                 6. Signature



What happens next?


Once the court receives your letter we will mail you a judgment indicating your fine and terms of deferred. You will need to sign the judgment, include a money order for the fine amount, and return it to the court within 10 days. Your case will be deferred for 90 days. During that time period you must not be convicted of any other violations. If you are under 25 years of age, you must also complete a Driving Safety Course approved under Chapter 1001, Education Code, and return proof of completion to the Court before your time period expires.



What happens at the end of the time period?


At the conclusion of the deferral period, if you have paid all costs and presented satisfactory evidence to the court of compliance with any conditions, the Judge shall dismiss the complaint.



Are all violations and charges eligible to be placed on Deferred Disposition?


No. If you, or your charges, meet any of the following circumstances or conditions, you are not eligible for Deferred Disposition:


                        Passing a school bus;

                        Cited for driving 25 MPH or more over the posted speed limit

                        Reckless driving;

                        Fleeing/attempting to elude a police officer;

                        Accident with damage to vehicle;

                        Failing your duty to give information/render aide;

                        Any offense committed in a construction zone with workers present;

                        Driving without a license or driving while license suspended;

                        Unrestrained child;


                        You are a holder of Commercial Driver’s License, or possessed a CDL at

                         the time of the offense.




Copyright © Montgomery County, Texas. All Rights Reserved.