MARKS AND BRANDS
IT’S TIME TO RENEW YOUR MARKS AND BRANDS.
Every 10 years, the State of Texas requires that brands be re-recorded in the county or counties in which you operate, pursuant to Texas Agriculture Code § 144.044. All holders of marks and brands recorded as of August 30, 2021, must re-record their marks and brands during the 6 month renewal period starting August 31, 2021, and ending February 28, 2022. You will use the Brand Recording Form (link below). You can renew your brand at the Montgomery County Clerk’s Office (Conroe Office ONLY). Failure to renew your brand means you forfeit your legal rights to the brand and anyone can record it for their use.
The form below is the only form accepted for recording of marks and brands in Montgomery County. Unless signed in the presence of the clerk, this form must be notarized. The form supplied by the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers’ Association does not meet the requirements for recording.
Brand Recording Form (fillable pdf) This form is a fillable form. You can fill in the blue boxes, print it, complete with your hand drawn brand, sign it submit it to record your mark or brand.
Brand Recording Form Print it out, complete it and submit it.
Marks and Brands to be recorded:
Texas Agriculture Code § 144.041 sets forth the marks and brands that need to be recorded:
(a) Each person who has cattle, hogs, sheep, or goats shall have and may use one or more earmarks, brands, tattoos, or electronic devices differing from the earmarks, brands, tattoos, and electronic devices of the person’s neighbors.
(b) A person who owns a horse may have and use one or more of the following to identify the horse:
(1) a brand differing from the brand of the person’s neighbors, including a fire or electric heat brand, freeze brand, acid brand, or hoof brand;
(2) an earmark differing from the earmark of the person’s neighbors;
(3) a tattoo differing from the tattoo of the person’s neighbors;
(4) an electronic device; or
(5) another generally accepted identification method.
For first location of brand on the animal: $11
For each additional location: $5
We accept cash (in person applications only), cashier’s check, money order, or personal/business check for payment. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.
All checks must be made payable to: Montgomery County Clerk and include your driver’s license number. *Failure to include your driver’s license number will result in a delay in processing your application.
Submitting your application for recording
1. In-person: You can come to our main office at 210 W. Davis, Suite 100, Conroe, TX 77301, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. To speed up the process, please have your application already completed before you come in. You do not have to have your application notarized if you come into the office and wait. Brands will not be processed at our Annex locations.
2. Drop Off: You can come to our main office at 210 W. Davis, Suite 100, Conroe, TX 77301, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Your application must be complete and notarized. Brands will not be processed at our Annex locations.
3. By mail: You can submit your application by mail. If you do so:
You must have your application notarized.
If you send a check for your fees, please include your driver’s license number on the check. *Failure to include your driver’s license number will result in a delay in processing your application.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH.