Please read the following instructions carefully before filing your petition for an Occupational Driver’s License.
Please note that the Judge will require these items from the Petitioner at the time the petition is filed:
1. Proof of SR-22 insurance (insurance must cover the entire period of suspension). An SR-22 is REQUIRED for an occupational license. Failure to provide the SR-22 proof will result in the denial of the petition for occupational license.
2. If the underlying case is a DWI, then a court-approved, camera-equipped ignition interlock device is required. Please be sure the ignition interlock device is from one of the two approved providers. The Court will not issue a license until the device is properly installed ON EACH AND EVERY VEHICLE YOU OWN OR OPERATE.
3. THE PETITIONER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING THE COURT WITH A CURRENT DRIVING RECORD. THE PETITIONER MUST REDACT ALL EXCEPT THE LAST THREE DIGITS OF THE DRIVER’S LICENSE NUMBER.
PLEASE OBTAIN RECORD TYPE “AR”.
Texas driving records may be obtained at:
4. Affidavits: Applicants are required to use the appropriate affidavit provided below.
a. If applicant has a DWI-related conviction AND the criminal court has issued an interlock order:
Court Interlock License Affidavit
b. Use this form only if the criminal court has not issued an interlock order:
Court Occupational License Affidavit
5. The Judge prepares her own orders. It is not necessary to file a prepared order with your petition.
6. Once all these documents are received, the petition will be reviewed and you will be contacted when the case is set on a docket. It typically takes about a week to get placed on a docket if the petition is filled out properly and all the documents are included.
Notice: This procedure can be complicated. The Judge and the court staff are prohibited by law to assist in preparing the petition or the procedural steps that will be required after the Judge signs the order. It may be beneficial to consult with an attorney if legal advice or further assistance is needed.
More information on occupational licenses may be obtained at: