Font Size

  • img

Tax Office

Military Help Desk - Copy


Motor Vehicle Questions:

Are there license plates available for my branch of service?
Yes. The TxDMV website has a wide variety of plates for military branches, award recipients and more. Please visit their website by clicking here

How do I register my vehicle if I am coming from another state?
Check out the military packet provided by the TxDMV website. It can be found here.

I am new to Texas, is there a packet that can provide helpful information for new residents?
Yes, check out the military packet provided by the TxDMV website. It can be found here.

I'm listed as a Disabled Veteran greater than 80% for my property taxes. Why do I have to do extra paperwork to get my license plates?
Property taxes and vehicle registration are separate departments. Property tax is handled by our office according to the rules of the Montgomery Central Appraisal District (MCAD). The vehicle registration and Disabled Veteran plates are also handled by our office, but by the rules from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, Registration and Title Division (TxDMV).

Our office accepts the Disabled Veteran application, along with the required attachments. We can ask the TxDMV to make the license plates for you and they can be connected to your vehicle after they arrive in our office. The cost is $3.00. This would be only for a set of specialty Disabled Veteran plates. This is for the first set of Disabled Veteran license plates.

Or, if you will send us the license plate number of the vehicle that will get your special plate, we can ‘connect’ the special plate to your vehicle. We will send you a registration sticker and a temporary plate to use on your vehicle. When the plates are manufactured the TxDMV will send the plates directly to your home.

If you order Disabled Veteran with a meritorious item, such as Navy, Marines, etc. there is an additional $3.00 fee. (Total $6.00)

(If you have 2 handicap placards you would be required to surrender one placard to get the Disabled Veteran license plates.)

How do I transfer the Military plates from my old car to my new car?
If you used your old car as a trade-in, you will need to pull those plates from the vehicle. It may take up to 60 days for your new vehicle to show in your name in the state system. You may call our office at 936-539-7897 around that time and give the clerk the plate number issued to you from the dealer. Once your name is on the record, you may visit any one of our 5 locations to turn in the original plates and sticker from your new vehicle.

Property Tax Questions:

What kinds of exemption are offered to veterans and military personnel?
100% Disabled Veterans: Certain disabled veterans are eligible for 100% exemptions for their residence homesteads. Current documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) must be submitted to prove that the veteran receives full VA compensation and is either rated at 100% disabled or has a determination of unemployability from the VA.

Over-65 or Disability Exemptions: You may receive an over-65 or disability homestead exemption immediately upon qualification for the exemption. If you have not provided your birth date on this application, you must apply before the first anniversary of your qualification date to receive the exemption in that tax year. For example, if you turn 65 or are disabled on June 1 of the current year, you have until May 31 of the next year to apply for the current tax year’s over-65 or disability exemption. This special provision only applies to an over-65 or disability exemption and not to other exemptions for which you may apply.

  • United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph



View Photo Gallery