Font Size

  • img


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need a permit for a mobile home or shed?
A: Yes, any fully enclosed structure/additions being moved/built on a lot require a Development Permit.

Q: I have two homes on my property, can I use the same address for both?
A: No, each livable structure must have its own address issued by Non Emergency 9-1-1 Addressing.

Q: Are permits required for solar panels?
A: No, Montgomery County does not permit solar panels.  Check with the HOA/POA.

Q: Do I need a permit for a sign?
A: No, Montgomery County does not require a permit for signs/billboards/monuments. Check with TXDOT.

Q: Residential Alarm Permits - how do I renew/where do I send payment?
A: Contact the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office

Q: Do I need a permit for a culvert?
A: Contact your Commissioner Precinct.

Q: Do I need a permit to improve/remodel my house?
A: Please see Exemptions and Development Requiring Permits.

Q: Is a final inspection required on my residential home once construction is complete?
A: There are no final inspections on the construction of residential homes located outside of the floodplain. 
Final inspections are required for Septic's and Fire Codes.

Q: How do I get a Certificate of Occupancy for my home?
A: Please see Codes & Zoning.

Q: Do I need a permit for a roof?
A: No, Montgomery County does not require a permit for a roof. Check with the HOA/POA.

Q: What type of backflow device is required for a landscape irrigation system for new commercial or residential construction?
A: Montgomery County does not permit or inspect irrigation systems and has no requirement for backflow devices.

Q: Jurisdiction - Is my property in unincorporated Montgomery County?
A: Please visit the Montgomery Central Appraisal District. If a city is listed above Montgomery County in the "Taxing Units" section, it is that cities jurisdiction (with the exception of The Woodlands Township).

Q: Where do I find if my lot is recorded, the written metes & bounds for my property or my deed?
A: Please visit the Montgomery County Clerk Online Services.

Q: I'm moving a spray head on my septic system, do I need a permit?
A: Yes, adding a new or making changes on an existing septic system requires a Septic Permit.

Q: When is a Non-Structure Permit required?
A: Developing (moving dirt, digging, grading, etc) in the 100 yr. Floodplain (Residential/Commercial). Adding any impervious cover or any additions to impervious cover, on Commercial property, requires a Development Non-Structure Permit

Q: When do I need a Fire Code Permit?
A: Commercial build-outs to existing structures/any new commercial structure 500sq ft or larger and additions (including existing structure square footage).

Q: I was flooded, do I need a permit?
A: Substantially damaged structures in the floodplain require a Development Permit, click here for more information.



View Photo Gallery